Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Review: All-New X-Men #12

I had absolutely no hope for this issue: Uncanny Avengers, major fights, Captain America, all things I hate in comic books. Like always, Brian Michael Bendis did not disappoint  It was not a giant fight scene like the cover might suggest, it was a diplomatic meeting in which the X-Men explained their opinions. With a little bit of fighting. But still, I was happy by the way the interactions between the two teams played out, Young Cyclops meeting Havok was an awesome conversation and Jean Grey's unhappiness with Wanda Maximoff was even better. It was very nice to see Havok meet his younger brother at the best stage in his development, and it was even better to see Cyclops meet his older brother. Of course Captain America has to be reprimanding Alex the whole time: "Alex, I told you not to. Alex, we agreed. Alex, this isn't what we came for." God, I can't stand Captain America. The drawing from one of my favorite Marvel artists, Stuart Immonen, was surprisingly sub-par this week. I thought he was very good with page layout but some of his faces looked atrocious.
Through my reading of the X-Men I haven't really "met" Jean Grey. Even if I did, I think the character is brought the most Justice under the pen of Mr. Bendis. It is really fun to watch her go snooping around in other peoples thoughts, although what she finds infuriates her. The only fighting happens right after this. I thought the fighting was well done as it sent a message to the reader: "Don't piss off Jean Grey!" She took down freakin' Thor! Captain America (of course) accuses the O5 of crimes they so clearly didn't commit. Wolverine offers up his, correct among other things, opinion that the person behind all of these crimes is Mystique. No duh! We also get a glimpse into the dynamic of Mystique's squad; something I have been enjoying quite a bit more over the past 4-5 issues. I have also been waiting for the epic moment when the O5 an Mystique and her gang clash. That promises to be a good issue. I love Wolverine taking charge at the end of the issue, the last line is extremely gratifying. But, as I have said before, Wolverine is not the solution to complicated problems. On another note, Scott Snyder is a god.



No comments:

Post a Comment