Tuesday, May 14, 2013

X-Men: First Class a Second Look

I watched X-Men: First Class almost a year ago when it was first released to theaters. Since then I have read innumerable X-Comics and studied the X-Men very carefully, there was something about that team that appealed to me more than any other super-team. Spotting the First Class movie at a friends house I looked it over a second time and found myself not remembering any of the film. So I asked if I could borrow it and my friend being the great guy he is lent me the movie. I watched the movie in the comfort of my own house on a nice Saturday morning. By itself it was a very good movie, but as an origin story for the X-Men it was atrocious. I still to this day don't understand why Marvel makes origin stories that are different than the ones already written in comics. If you have 100s of stories sitting in front of you and you have to make a movie about the characters in those books, I mean the logical thing would to completely disregard everything everyone wrote in those books and make up some story that fans won't be able to relate to or remember. Right? Instead of making fans and long-time X-People happy when they see their favorite super-team on the big screen instead we have to groan when we see Beast is a teen in the '60s. I will admit that Marvel makes great movies, better than DC, but they just have to start getting their characters right. I really don't see why Matthew Vaughn didn't start off telling the story of the Original 5 and The Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. I would love to see the story of The Dark Phoenix Saga unfold on screen. Instead we have to watch this brutal story of Magneto exacting revenge on everyone he ever met. We don't want to see that, Marvel. We want to see the interesting characters that we are so used to seeing. I am still not done with Marvel Movies, I am looking forward to Days of Future Past (beside myself), The New S.H.I.E.L.D TV show and the Cap movie. Be sure to tell me what you are looking forward to in the comments below.
Thanks,
--Sam Roche


BTW Marvel, if you put Emma Frost in another movie she better not be in the Hellfire Club this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment