Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5/15/13


This week was sort of disappointing  in fact it was the first week in a long time I debated dropping a title all together. There were a few good books, but nothing awesome from DC. I was also very happy to learn lots of new information about both the upcoming Battle of the Atom storyline and the Hellfire Saga. So without anymore general talk I would like to start reviewing some of this weeks new comics.

  • Age of Ultron #8
I, unlike many others, was excited by the prospect of the Defenders and the alternate universe going-ons in this title. This issue goes in-depth and gives readers a really good feel for this other Marvel U. I enjoyed seeing how Tony Stark has become sick with power and really enjoyed seeing the Defenders defy him and break in to save Sue. I think of all of the other-universe characters Xavier and Frost are the best. Bendis didn't change much in terms of powers or appearance but rather gave them a new relationship that is far different than that of the normal continuity. Their dialogue is the best in the book filled with great dialogue. I also really enjoyed reading as Wolverine told future-Stark their initial plan and hearing Tony tell them that he knew that his alternate-universe self would have prevented that. I think that this series is still going strong but I just can't predict how they are going to end it. Anyway they do end it, I'll be there to see it.



  • Wolverine and the X-Men #029
Never in comics have I ever seen a futuristic world handled so perfectly. I'll get to that in a minute. The layout of the book was like so: Wolverine's speech, awesome, flashback, awesome, Wolverine's speech, awesome, flashback, awesome, Wolverine's speech, awesome, burying a time-capsule, awesome, flash forward to the future, inexplicable awesome. What I have just described was the first half of the book which was executed perfectly. Wolverine's speech is thoughtful and meaningful and contrasts well with the flashbacks. We get to see some good Beast action and a brief Wolverine memory. We then see the Jean Grey School 25 years later with a much older Logan. Just because I am getting to blogging early in the day I have time to list all of the references/easter eggs in this issue. So here goes:
  • Jean Grey School has new locations internationally in the future.
  • The original teachers are on portraits on the wall.
  • Carmen Drake is a snowman who phases through walls.
  • New students:
    • Warren Worthington IV
    • Kubrick Quire
    • Charlene Xavier
    • Rose Logan
    • Summer Grey
    • Many more
  • "This must all be from right before...before the....(Holds up Idie's bible)...Ah, hell." --Logan.
  • Thunderbird and Phoenix are alive and in this timeline.
  • Eye-Boy is now Eye-Man and is an X-Man.
  • Worthington Industries is still trucking along.
  • Another mention of "last time" and time-travel.
  • No one remembers burying that time-capsule.
  • Mentions of:
    • Hellfire Academy
    • Azazel and his Pirates
    • The Black Order
    • Butchress Mondo
    • Sabertooth's Secret Plans
    • The New Brotherhood
    • The Apocalypse Crusade
    • Jean
    • Wakanda's Sky City 5
    • Captain China
    • Shark Woman's X-Force
    • Krakoa Corps.
We then switch back to the present where 2 GIANT spoilers are released. These change the game completely and set everything up for the upcoming Hellfire Saga.

My opinion: The art is really bad for this series especially but I guess every artist can't suit my fancy. I thought the writing was just phenomenal and the whole book had an incredibly good narrative.
I am really excited to see what happens next as this book ends with lots of intrigue.


  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #20
I was really excited that this book had shed it's god-awful writer, the infamous Scott Lobdell. I was also really excited about the ending of the last book. If you haven't already read it this is what happened: Jason has shown up to save the rest of the Outlaws but it turns out that he has lost his memory. This book tells us why he did choose to forget his past. Kori and Roy all experience Jason's memories and learn that no matter how bad they want their friend back it was his choice to forget them and it must have been for a good reason. I don't have much more to say about the book other than it was an ok read, much better than it used to be, just still not great. I do enjoy how the writer goes back and really introduces Jason in a way that hasn't been done before. The art is ok, a little screwed up at times but who are we to critique?


  • Batgirl #20
+Steven Viscido got me into this series and I am glad he did. It is a pretty solid series that has some intrigue. After some serious moping from the events of the last arc, Batgirl gets back on track while hunting down the Ventriloquist  I like series that instead of focusing on the main character of the book focus on the villain/s that character is fighting. One of my favorite books coming out of the Bat-Office is Batman: The Dark Knight. We get to see the Ventriloquist's backstory while seeing her wreak havoc on Gotham the same way we do the Mad Hatter in TDK. I really like this approach as it makes rogues really easy to write about in other stories. I really liked how brutal this book was and how dirt-nasty Gail Simone wrote the Ventriloquist. I will definitely stick around for this arc, especially considering how interesting the end of the book was.


  • Catwoman #20
DON'T READ IT! I REPEAT, DON'T READ IT! I DROPPED THIS BOOK ABOUT FOUR PAGES IN. YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANOTHER REVIEW OF CATWOMAN ON THIS BLOG! I WAS TERRIBLY WRONG TO BUY IT!

  • Nightwing #20
I really enjoyed Nightwing last month and was sure that it was on a different path now that Dick was in Chicago. I did enjoy this issue but there wasn't really a ton to enjoy. There were those pages of teen-flirting that Dick has to take part in every single issue, but hey, I knew I was getting in to that by reading Nightwing. The art is fantastic and especially shined in a scene where Dick plays cards with an informer. I really enjoyed the last sequence where Dick is caught in a trap by the prankster who is turning out to be quite the villain. The trap is well thought through and would be really hard for anyone to escape, even Dick. Like Red Hood and the Outlaws this issue was good, but only good.








No comments:

Post a Comment