Wednesday, May 8, 2013

5/8/13

I always like Batman if it's by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. And I was really into Wolverine. Needless to say those were the books I was looking forward to most this week. I guess I was looking forward to the wrong books, the two I didn't mention, Thor: God of Thunder #008 and Batman and Red Hood #20 were just terrific. They were so good I would be willing to pay double for both of them. So, with a very short amount of comics pulled, therefore a very short amount of reviews: here are your weekly reviews.

  • Batman #20
I really love this book. Both the writing and the art are consistently some of the best work in the industry. I am even enjoying this new Clayface storyline, even though Clayface is a meh villain. This issue just didn't quite do it for me. The beginning of the issue was confusing and chaotic with Clayface fighting Bruce Wayne in the Batcave, OH MY GOD! Lay off spellchecker! Batcave is a word, sheesh. And yes sheesh is a word too. Anyways, Batman: It is disheartening that a villain was able to break into the Batcave, now Scott Snyder has written that the Joker and Clayface have seen the Batcave, but still neither of them know that Batman is Bruce Wayne. Kind of ridiculous, right? Batman and Lucius Fox are thrown into a very dangerous situation, which I am not at liberty to tell you the outcome of. There is a very iffy nod towards Batman Beyond. I think while it may be kind of a fun Easter Egg at first, tying those two realities together will be continuity hell. BREAKING NEWS I just noticed that the way Greg Capullo draws jaws is a lot like the way John Romita Jr. draws them. Here: look at this helpful diagram:

=

I don't know, they looked similar to me.
Clayface makes Batman face a lot of his demons, though, and that's always interesting to see. Although it make sense, the ending wasn't extremely satisfying. The very ending was great, we see Batman shed a tear for his son. Tell me what you thought of this issue down in the comments below. Also make sure to tell me how you feel about Batman: Zero Year in the comments.


  • Wolverine #3
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE YOU READ THE REVIEW! SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!

I was so excited to see where they were going with the appearances of the Watcher and Nick Fury in the last issue. However, one cancels the other out as Logan tries to convince Nick that he saw the Watcher, but Nick doesn't much care. What follows is an extremely queer scene in a bar where we meet a bunch of people we don't give a damn about.
I've got my eye on you Marcus H. Harold.


So after introducing all of these meaningless people, Wolverine gets a bullet taken out of his shoulder that ends up giving them a lead. Because the attacker would totally be that careless. Wolverine and Fury hop in a S.H.I.E.L.D car and stealth their way to a warehouse, because villains in a warehouse hasn't been done before. 

Wolverine dives, climbs, breaks, enters and snikts only to find himself in front of a bunch of android-person-suit-things. Really bad character design.


Seriously? What is that guy?

After a lot of meaningless violence and one funny reference Wolverine escapes. The ending is kinda promising, but nothing special. I am still really looking forward to #7 where Killable starts. That just looks EPIC!

  • Batman and Red Hood #20
This is one of the best issues I have read in a very long time. I am not going to lie, I almost cried during some parts of this issue. Peter J. Tomasi has a way of just making Bruce's desperation after Damian's death so real. I found the issues containing Carrie Kelly to be quite entertaining. She is a quirky little rebel who doesn't really make much sense but is kind of a nice presence. I feel like the author went a little over the top with how surly Bruce was. You could try being a little less rude next time someone who loved your son is over Brucie. I know you don't know this from experience, but people don't like a brooder. Other than that this issue is pure gold. Jason and Bruce plan to strike a clan of assassins in Ethiopia that were sent to kill Damian earlier in the timeline during Batman Inc. I like how much this other has kept the whole Damian, Dead, thing. He really is giving an accurate and meaningful depiction of what life is like if your a Batman without a Robin.

Once the Bat and the Hood are in Ethiopia Batman gives a command I thought he would never give to Jason: "HANDS, KNEES, AND ELBOWS!" He is of course implying that Jason is going to use a firearm, something I am glad Batman has made his peace with. The Dynamic Duo is BRUTAL when taking out the snipers. It is so fun to watch them completely maim these terrible people. After the assassins are good and unconscious Batman drives Jason to another very emotional place in Ethiopia, the spot of Jason's death. Jason gets mad at Batman for bringing back terrible memories, but he really has every right. But then Bruce says a line that really stuck with me: "BECAUSE I WANT TO WATCH DAMIAN GROW UP, DAMN IT!" He is just a father looking for his son. He is so tender at heart. Jason and Bruce do eventually part ways. I am so ready for next issue!


  • Thor: God of Thunder #008
Watching young, callow Thor slave away is one of the most entertaining things in comics. Early in the issue he gets really mad and throws a giant boulder at a berserker. He then gets lectured and threatened by Thunder goddesses who we later learn are Thor's grandkids. There is a particularly awkward moment where one of the goddesses fesses up to thinking "impure" things about her grandfather. All of the enslaved gods are seen at a meeting where they decide to use their bomb to try and destroy the Godbomb soon. Thor becomes reckless and awesome in a moment where he runs through berserker's carrying the slave's bomb and making it rain fire. Can it get any more epic? No. He throughs the bomb at the Godbomb with all of his strength. The explosion ripples through the omniverse but doesn't do much to the Godbomb. This issue ends well as all of the Thors team-up and get ready to battle Gorr. I really hope they end Godbomb well, it's just so good to go to waste.





No comments:

Post a Comment