Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tackling the Manifest

A warehouse was bought out, so my comic store now has maybe hundreds of $30-$75 sold for $7-$35.
I picked up X-Men Manifest Destiny for $7.43 (The cover price is $30.) Now I made a decision. If I am going to read some of Manifest Destiny I am going to have to read all of it.
So, I looked to my good friend Wikipedia for some help. Like always Wikipedia was there for me. So I will now copy and paste the reading list of Manifest Destiny. The bolded books are the ones that came in the Graphic Novel I recently purchased.


  • Astonishing X-Men #25
  • Uncanny X-Men #500

  • Cable #6
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men #1
  • Astonishing X-Men #26
  • Uncanny X-Men #501
  • X-Men: Legacy #215

  • X-Men: Manifest Destiny #1
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men #2
  • Uncanny X-Men #502
  • Young X-Men #6
  • X-Men: Legacy #216

  • X-Men: Manifest Destiny #2
  • Astonishing X-Men #27
  • Uncanny X-Men #503
  • Young X-Men #7
  • Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #1
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men #3

  • X-Men: Manifest Destiny #3
  • Uncanny X-Men #504
  • Young X-Men #8
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men #4

  • Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #2
  • X-Men: Manifest Destiny #4
  • Uncanny X-Men #505
  • Young X-Men #9
  • Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #3

  • X-Men: Manifest Destiny #5
  • Eternals #7
  • Astonishing X-Men #28

  • Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #4
  • Eternals #8
  • Uncanny X-Men #506

  • Manifest Destiny: Nightcrawler #1
  • Eternals #9
  • Uncanny X-Men #507
  • Astonishing X-Men #29

  • Runaways (Vol. 3) #10

  • Astonishing X-Men #30

So as you can see if I plan on reading the entirety of this mega-crossover event, I am going to have to visit another friend of mine: Marvel Unlimited. As I write this I have already read this first two on the list, Astonishing X-Men #25 and Uncanny X-Men #500. I also read Wolverine: Manifest Destiny #1 in print. I had this idea after the fact so this article is coming a tad late.
I decided I would give a very brief review of each issue, giving it a score 1-10 in a couple different categories. I will also tell you if this is worth the read. So, if you are considering tackling this storyline as well you don't have to read all of the tie-ins to see which ones interest you.

Astonishing X-Men #25:
Writing: 8.5, fantastic!
Art: 8, Great, a little rough with facial features though.
Relevance to the storyline: 7.5, not essential but definitely worth the read.
Should you read it? Absolutely! If you just want to stick to the story this issue may not interest you but is worth the 20 min. for anyone else.

Uncanny X-Men #500
Writing: 8, decent.
Art: 5, it's Greg Land, what do you expect?
Relevance to the storyline: 8, you should probably read it to get introduced to the cast of characters.
Should you read it? Why not? It is decent and a good X-Book overall. Why not check it out?

Manifest Destiny: Wolverine #1
Writing: 8.75, good, not outstanding.
Art: 9, great tones.
Relevance to the story: 10, this is what this whole storyline is going to be about.
Should you read this? Of course, it's Wolverine confronting his past in Chinatown, what's not to want to read?

That is all I have for now. I will probably tackle another two issues tonight. Stay tuned, this is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment