Wednesday, April 3, 2013

4/3/13

Two months ago if you told me that all of my books one week would come from Marvel I would have laughed. I am proud to say that I have know experienced a week were I only get Marvel comics. And it was quite a good week.
  • Thanos Rising #001
And I thought Guardians of the Galaxy #1 was big. This was one of the best debut issues ever. Master writer Jason Aaron starts with a blank slate and creates an origins story that seems organic to the character, was brutal, and devastating. The illustrations beautifully complimented the brilliant dialogue perfectly. I think that Thanos is a very nerdy boy but the author didn't use the "he's different we hate him" excuse that most bad authors pull when they can't think of an interesting relationship between a character and his/her peers. There was a part of this issue that was a lot like 127 hours and made for an interesting turning point in Thanos's life. Great book, can't wait for the 2nd!

  • Age of Ultron Book 4
AGE OF ULTRON IS SOOOOO GOOD!!!!
I look forward to it every week because it comes out almost every week. There is a certain rhythm to it that keeps it from being too boring but also keeps it from being too fast-paced. The author finds his groove with characters and makes them complex and interesting. Last issue we met She-Hulk and Luke Cage and this week we took a trip to the Savage Land. This installment is full of surprises from a nuclear explosion to a gory death-by-hulk. Well done Bendis and Hitch even though I continue to dislike how you draw faces.


  •  All-New X-Men #010
This series is honestly as good as it gets. I mean BMB just made a scene with three different groups of X-Men a beautiful and witty conversation. All of the dialogue was totally believable and the points made were all great. S.H.E.I.L.D finally gets in contact with the X-peeps. Something they should have done issues ago and the X-Men continue to be the most interesting group to listen to in the Marvel Universe. BMB leaves us with such a good cliffhanger that I am sure will change the Marvel Universe completely. I am soooooooo ready for next week.

  • Indestructible Hulk #006
I am glad that the Hulk book is headed in a new direction because it is a good book but the last Atlantean thing wasn't the best. This new storyline focuses more on the team of scientists that Maria Hill assembled with Bruce Banner's help. They travel through a portal where they meet...Thor? It is a weird meeting and I am not sure what to make of it but Hulk does get to wield Thor's hammer for the last few pages. The book is cleverly written but the story is not easily understood and there are a lot of loose ends. I am curious about what the next issue will hold.


No comments:

Post a Comment