Wednesday, April 17, 2013

4/17/13

Okay, this week had it all. Be it time travel, lost memory, resurrection, a drug dealer, an asylum, and Chicago. Can you ask for much more? No, you can't. And in the words of my past self, "here are the weekly reviews:"

  • Secret Service #4
Long ago I took a vow to never buy a variant that wasn't on a #1 issue. I wasn't so specific when it came to second printings. I also vowed that I would never review anything that had come out more than  a week ago. I don't know if reviewing a second printing of an issue that came out months ago counts, but here we are, I better not waste your time.
Secret Service is an interesting series. Like most of the series on my ever-expanding pull-list I bought the first one on a whim. My reading buddy and I loved the plot and decided to collect the rest. We got #s 2 and 3 in a matter of weeks and loved them both. But no matter where we looked we could not find that pesky #4. Well, now I found it. And I am glad I did. This was an issue full of creativity, wit and drama. It started out with a conversation between uncle and nephew about life and acknowledgment. You know, just the kind of things everyone talks to their uncle about. We see aforementioned nephew gassed and placed in a situation so deadly and awkward it was in South America. 'Cause uncles do that all the time too. The nephew being the most clever in the situation conceives a clever and game-changing plan that gets him to English soil on a private jet. This issue's dialogue was spectacular and I aspire to be able to come up with half of the brilliant situations Mark Millar does. And that would be impressive, even.



  • Age of Ultron Book Six
Is time travel a good thing to introduce to the Age of Ultron cannon. [SPOILER ALERT] It is. Both the stories of the past and the future are told masterfully by the wonderful Brian Michael Bendis. Both tenses flow seamlessly back and forth. Nick Fury is so much better of a leader than Captain America and Wolverine is really more animal than man. The tension is high as Wolverine contemplates killing one man to save many and the future gang battles more Ultrons than imaginable. And yeah, auto-correct, "Ultrons" is a word. Adding to dictionary right now. I like Storm's new look and I think that the retro Iron Man suit is a nice touch as well. Now, if they could only fix Quicksilver. I am so loving this storyline. I don't know what it is, I just am really in the mood to quote myself tonight. "I can't wait for next month." 


  • Savage Wolverine #004
"Let's resurrect that character!" said every single publisher who wanted to make money. Jason Todd, Charles Xavier, Ra's Al Ghul, the list goes on. The only person in comics who stays dead is Uncle Ben. And now he's doing some rice ads or something.
Well, not every time. The Todd resurrection was a little tough to understand.

But we do go through the resurrection process this issue. Along with never ending word-balloons and very few Wolverine appearences this issue was well-written and illustrated. I continue to love the way Frank Cho makes a page, I always find his panelling quite interesting. I also like this new, correct me if I am wrong, character Amadeus Cho. He is very cool looking and the way Frank Cho writes his dialogue is bliss to read. This is a series that I will read to the grave.



  • Catwoman #19
I can't say that I love tie-ins or that I had any idea of what was going on in the beginning of this issue, but I will say that Catwoman #19 was better than ordinary. An asylum is an interesting place, filled with interesting people. And Catwoman is one of them now. The writing is once above par, and the art is not bad either. Of course there is a lot of kicking faces and sarcasm coming from Catwoman, but if you are going to read this title you are going to have to deal with that. Honestly, while reading the book for a second time I realized that there were probably at least ten instances throughout the book where Catwoman's boot connects with someones face. This book is turning around, and I do respect that. It's just all of that kicking, is it really necessary?


  • Nightwing #19
Nightwing #19 pulls this series out of it's funk. It is bright, cheerful, intriguing and Chicago. It shows that Dick is still a kid at heart and life can be tough even on super-heroes. I love the format of; present-flashback-present and I loved the introduction to the Jokester. Excuse me, the Prankster. Both names are equally stupid. But this deeply troubled individual is a lot like Gollum. She has split personalities, tricks people into believing false tales and would leave someone to survive a giant wolf with only a suitcase of money and a lighter. I really like how the Dark Knight series has left the direct cannon for a while just to focus on Batman and a rogue and I hope Nightwing follows suit. The art was also very good this week for a change. Nightwing can actually keep his secret identity safe now.


  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #19
YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!

That was completely necessary  That shows just how excited I am that Scott Lobdell is no longer writing this book. One kitten is saved from getting run over because Scott Lobdell wrote one less comic book. James Tynion writes a great issue in which he perfectly captures the Outlaws and their longing for their leader back. The art was spectacular along with a great scene that took place in Roy's dreams. I am finally opening up to Roy now that Lobdell can't get a hold of him anymore. I think that this book would benefit if they had a little less "let's confront our pasts" and a little more "Oh My God! Giant tarantulas fighting Man-Bats along with Eddard Stark on the island from Lost, we want in!"












No comments:

Post a Comment