Wednesday, April 10, 2013

4/10/13

Today brought a nice batch of books, some of my favorites actually. Thor and Batman are amazing and Batman and Red Robin was actually really weird and cool. Age of Ultron, however, one of the most consistently excellent books I get, was quite disappointing. So here they are, the weekly reviews:
  • Age of Ultron Book Five
This book follows pretty much the same template as Lost. At first there is a moderately joyful flashback that shows where the future began, if that makes any sense. Then we see our happy flashbacker in the more desolate future. The flashbacker in this case is Tony Stark and the future is all of the Ultron survivors in the Savage Land. Without giving away major spoilers they meet someone they did NOT expect to meet who has a completely cackamaymee idea that includes time travel. Besides having a plan, said person has all of the traditional costumes of the survivors and totally boss weapons. So we have that pleasant "Let's suit up for battle" scene with expert banter courtesy of Brian Michael Bendis. After the people on the time-travel mission have, well, time-traveled, of course Wolverine has to be all like, "Y'know what, screw that idea I am totally gonna do what everyone told me not to do even though it will completely mess EVERYTHING up." There's Wolverine for you. The only reasons this issue really didn't do it for me was because there was little of that ultra-bleak post-apocalyptic materiel that has made me fall in love with this series. I can't wait until Book Six because the art-reigns are passed to Brandon Peterson. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Bryan Hitch?


  • Batman #19
Now that the controversial Requiem books are over we can get back to some good old Snyder/Capullo Batman. There was everything I like about a regular Batman issue in this book, suspense, shock, amazing art, detective work, well-written inner monologue and so much more. Bruce Wayne and Batman are both interesting characters and that is because Scott Snyder is the master of Batman. I don't think that he should ever leave the title. There is really no reason, and this weeks book showed that to me again. Stepping out of the wake of Death of the Family and Damian's death felt so good even if there was some reminiscing about times with Damian. I can't tell you how hard it is to write well about the GCPD but Snyder manages to make both James Gordon and Harvey Bullock super interesting. Cappulo draws the best Clayface. Period. It is just so grotesque and gruesome it is almost too awesome, keyword almost. I can't wait to see how next month plays out.

If you look closely you can see the Clayface face on the very right of the picture.
  • Batman and Red Robin #19
Not as much Red Robin as I would have liked but not much disappointment either. Readers, like myself and my reading buddy, who know nothing about Carrie can still tell who she is and what kind of relationship she had with Damian from just this book. The parts featuring Carrie Kelley were humorous and fun and I look forward to her appearing in future books. I thought the incorporation of Frankenstein into this issue was just sheer brilliance though. Bruce was going insane and captured Frankenstein in a desperate attempt to bring Damian back to life. Without too many spoilers the plan doesn't go smoothly and Frankenstein ends up being dismembered.


  • Thor God of Thunder #007
God Bomb is here! And it is AMAZING. This is really the perfect comic in all regards. The God Butcher is such an intriguing character and Thor has never been more interesting. The art, as anyone can tell from just the cover, is just gorgeous and the interior is even better. I liked the art in the Gorr-igin but it is great to have Esad Ribic back on the book. Jason Aaron is such a good writer and the way he writes the dynamic between future and present Thor is some of the best dialogue in any kind of literature. No offense Shakespeare. I love the past Thor and think that his irresponsibleness and bravado make him so interesting. I really can't wait to find out more about the God Bomb and the God of Bombs.


  • Batgirl #19

Gail is back on the book and the "OMG James Jr. is CRAZY" storyline comes to an end. Some powerful family matters are dealt with in this book and we can all learn a little about caring for others, so go give your psychotic brother a hug. 
The weaving of horror movies into this issue was creative and I thoroughly enjoyed the finale at the dock. I think that Barbara Gordon shines for making these connections to real life that really help us to empathize with her. She also shows that she is human when she comes clean to her roommate about "everything." The roommate also tells Babs that she is a transgendered character. I think this is a step in the right direction for diversity in comics, way to go DC!

OMG I totes just killed my bro!



1 comment:

  1. I take it then it wasn't really Bruce that shot someone, but Clayface.

    ReplyDelete