Saturday, February 2, 2013

Marvel Digital Attempts

As I begin to explore the world of Marvel I am loaned a bag of comics from a Marvel fan who wants me to read some Marvel NOW materiel. Being an owner of a tablet if I enter the digital code into my computer so they will be with me if I have my tablet. Aside from being a very convenient way to read comics it is a very good way to be able to loan comics to friends. If I share my password with anyone they can all read the same comic without having to pay $4.00. This way I can acquire many comics without having to spend the amount I would have to pay without the digital comics. I feel that this is an extremely beneficial perk but just don't see how it could possibly work with Marvel's business model, if the goal is to sell more copies why are they giving a free one away with every purchase? I will continue to enjoy and use this great app.



With the borrowed comics aforementioned in this post I began spotting the Marvel AR emblem which I have never payed much attention to. Using my IPod Touch I downloaded the app passing a suspicious 2 and a half star rating. My first attempt with this app was on Thor: God of Thunder #3 on an awesome picture of Thor riding a bloody horse. The app gave very few directions on how to use the almost empty interface and when I finally figured out how to work it the whole thing just refused to work. So, I was standing over my comic double-tapping the screen repeatedly (capture image button maybe?) and yet nothing was happening. Despite all of the negativity and bad reviews of this app I was pretty excited to see an image of Thor floating in my bedroom, because that's what AR is anyways, right? Wrong. Once the image was finally done loading the screen showed a black and white image of the panel in front of me. At the slowest possible speed the screen scrolls down the page of the same comic I was just looking at and slowly gains color. Already bored to death I am appalled when the app stalls and freezes. Upset but still optimistic, I give the app another try on a different panel. This time it shows me a barely understandable video of the illustrator waving around a toy Thor hammer and giving me advice on how to smell like a Viking. This app is clearly a waste of time and a failed attempt at a fairly interesting concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment