Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Final Goodbye to Damian Wayne

I hope you all know that I love Damian, with all of my heart. He is the best Robin and one of the best characters in comics. I was heartbroken when I looked on my Google+ feed to see an article about the death of Damian. Since then I have been preparing for Wednesday when my heart will be torn from my chest as I read Batman Incorporated #8. So this my friends and loyal readers, is my final tribute to Damian Wayne.
When I first got into comics I loved Batman. But I hated Robin. I always thought of Batman as some kind of bad-ass loner who didn't need an annoying little kid at his side. As I got to know the Bat-Family better one character stood out to be the most interesting seeming; Batman's Son. However, I still was opposed to Robin. It was that bittersweet moment when I just finished one of my newly purchased graphic novels. I turn the page hoping for some more of the story even though I knew that I was at the end of the book. I saw one of those ad pages where they spotlight an author and show all of the Batman books they have written. This particular page showcased Grant Morrison. I looked the page up and down and came across the cover of Batman and Son. I don't know what it was about that picture but in my mind I decided that moment that I needed all of the comics with Damian in them that I could possibly get my greedy hands on. Thus began my relationship with this particular comic book character.
A couple days later a box arrives from Amazon marked with my name. I ripped the box open and found all of the GNs I ordered tucked in. I first "met" Damian as an infant on the last page of Batman: Son of the Demon. I devoured Batman and Son in the same night. I think Grant Morrison introduced me to many things that night.

  1. Truly good comic writing.
  2. Damian Wayne.
  3. The idea that Robins are pretty awesome.
  4. Some of my favorite ever stories.
As I kept reading about and getting fascinated by the ten-year-old boy my interest for comics grew. I bought boxes and boxes of GNs loving everything about the "Death Era." I think that the New 52 has also made Damian the amazing character he is. Batman and Robin is the only series of the New 52 in which I have never had a complaint about a single issue. Batman Incorporated has also been a super exciting and fun series.
As I think about these decision Grant Morrison is making I am ultimately sad. The Batman canon will not be quite as intriguing without him and that will disappoint fans, but most of all I am sad because Damian is going to die. Batman Incorporated will be the first title I read tomorrow and I plan on burying a picture of Damian in my backyard. I really hope he's gonna get resurrected in a couple years, because if not I will send DC so many complaint emails they won't even be able to breath. (that didn't make much sense.)

1 comment:

  1. I really don't understand DC's zeal for killing off characters. They even admit that Damian is quite popular (unlike Jason Todd), but they don't seem to care. What is the point of making up an awesome character only to kill it off? It just makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete