Thursday, February 7, 2013

2/6/13

This was a very fun week for one reason. HIT-GIRL. There was also The New 52 Young Romance valentines day special. I can pretty much write the conversation they had in their conference room. "Okay, we've done this before and we can do this again. How do we extract the most amount of money from our fans and giving them the least possible amount of entertainment?" "How about we release a hardcover edition a year before the paperback so that fans have the choice of waiting 1 and a half years for their comics to be collected into one book at a normal price or they could throw ten dollars down the toilet by buying a hardcover?" "Great idea!" "Wait a second, haven't we done that before?" "Yeah, how about we do a holiday themed issue where we get a bunch of creative teams to make about 5 crappy pages and then show 2 awesome characters kissing on the cover?" "Best idea yet!"


  • Hit-Girl #5
Hit-Girl is awesome. Kick-Ass is awesome. Mark Millar is awesome. This issue is awesome. This couldn't have been a funnier, more gore filled, intriguing comic. I liked every aspect of it. From the clever plot to Hit-Girl hanging someone with their guts spilling out. I though that JRJR's art was terrific like usual and that this was a fantastic way to wrap up this awesome mini-series. To make things even better in the back I found out that the Kick-Ass 2 movie just finished filming, the Secret Service is going to get it's own movie and that Kick-Ass 3 is coming out in May. Really, what could be better?





  •  The New 52 Young Romance Valentines Day Special
More like, what could be worse? This book had several flaws, so many that I will list them as bullets:

  • Too damn expensive. I pay $8 for a book that's not even worth the time I spent reading it.
  • Sloppy writing. Every conversation was so awkward and forced it made my skin crawl.
  • Art changing every five pages. I can't stand when a series changes artists so you could imagine how I would feel as I switched from one art-style to another while I was just getting used to the first.
  • Too many stories. I wish that they had cut half of the tales in the book so that the two somewhat interesting ones; Batgirl, Aquaman, could get some more time in the spotlight.
There was one good thing. In the middle of the comic there were the funniest Valentines cards ever.



1 comment:

  1. I loved your comments about the romance special and also the money-grubbing nature of the comic book companies. +1 to all of it.

    ReplyDelete