Monday, January 28, 2013

Court of the Owls vs. Death of the Family

My favorite series thus far in the New 52 is Batman. I think that Scott Snyder is a very creative, dark and clever author who really makes Batman who he is today. The Dark Knight looks best when he seems to be engulfed in shadow, Greg Capullo does him justice by making him the most noir Batman to date. This all-star team is now on their second storyline together; Death of the Family. The only reason I picked up Batman #13 is because I loved the Court of the Owls storyline, and really who didn't? It was intense, a good look at Gotham's history and a fantastic look at the Wayne Family (Read my full review in the Collected Editions Page, only posted Thursdays and Fridays). Anyways, I picked up Batman #13 I was expecting a decent Joker story. That was the first day I was ever scared by a comic. My hands were trembling after reading it and immediately wanted the rest of the series. Not only did I subscribe to Batman, but every single tie-in (I'm a sucker for tie-ins). I was anxiously awaiting Batman #14 the following month. I raced through the book again and again taking in all of the wonderful panels. The same thing the following month with #15. As Bruce ascends the steps and enters Arkham Asylum in the final pages of #15 I was breathless. I had no idea that #16 was going to be the intense, scary demented comic it was. Batman #16 is my favorite single issue ever and I cant wait for the sequel next week. I have to say I am a bit disappointed. They managed to keep Court of the Owls going for 11 issues and Death of the Family only 5. They knew people would buy Death of the family regardless of the content so why did they cut it so short. These are two of my favorite series ever and will share them with all of my friends, but I am conflicted. I don't know which one to say was the better run. Please leave a comment with your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment